The CWCki needs help! Please consider clicking the tugboat to make a donation
Template talk:Captain's Log
Added "CWC's impression of clyde cash" I would note as well that it is funny shit. However, not sure if it meets this criteria. If it doesn't, please excuse me and go move it over to "Other" or something. IJustDontCareAnymore 09:04, 24 April 2009 (CEST)
- I removed the entire "Highlights of the above" section for a few reasons. First, it was nowhere near a complete list of highlights. Second, a complete list of highlights would in any case be totally subjective. Third and most importantly, even if a complete list of highlights could be compiled, it would probably involve a link to every video in this template, in which case it would be entirely redundant to the template itself. As always, if anyone thinks I've overstepped the line, they can just copy-paste the whole thing back in from an earlier version of the page... but I think I've made a compelling case for not including such a section. Llort 20:55, 6 June 2009 (CEST)
- Agreed. Axe 23:17, 6 June 2009 (CEST)
It might be useful if we split this template up, so that all the "Captain's Log" videos actually stay with Captain's Log template and a "Video" template can be made for other videos. --Champthom 02:37, 16 June 2009 (CEST)
- I hope you saw the treatise-length entry that I made over at the Community Portal a couple days ago on this subject, just as your informal poll was ending. In any case, I'm all for doing what you're suggesting. The template has grown enough to become unwieldy, and at a minimum, it should be split into a "Captain's Log" template on the one hand and a "Chris's Other Videos" (or something similar) template on the other.
- I say "at a minimum" because I think there's a case to be made for further dividing "Chris's Other Videos" into "Chris's Other Videos" on the one hand and "Videos Obtained by Trolls" (or something similar) on the other. Such a template would include both the new videos directly captured by trolls and the older "leaked" videos, which were less directly "obtained" by trolls. I'm almost certain that the first template split is called for; this second one is at least worth considering. Llort 03:36, 16 June 2009 (CEST)
- Leaked videos and that sort of thing could go in its own template. If someone wants to do that, go ahead and do so. --Champthom 16:43, 17 June 2009 (CEST)
- I see you went ahead and split that shit. Feels good, man. Llort 15:20, 17 June 2009 (CEST)
Currently, the Chris's Other Videos has a linkback to this template, but not vice versa, which it did last night. I see Champthom removed it, and I don't plan on challenging that decision outright. (Since I'm a nobody) But if you do it to one, you should do it to the other. The reasoning was something along the lines of "Wikipedia doesn't use See Also in templates.." I could play the "We're not Wikipedia" card, but that's no way to be recognized as a valuable contributor now is it? Instead, consider this: for our purposes, the linkback could be helpful for our current wiki setup and might make navigation easier. Alternatively, if somebody knows advanced wiki code, this could be condensed into a collapsible "Part of a Series On" template like ED uses. --Whoreos n' Milf 23:55, 20 June 2009 (CEST)
Now that we've totally done away with the "Captain's Log" classification system, what I'd like to do with this template is turn it into a template for "Chris's videos for fans". (The template name could remain the same, I suppose.) Assuming that everyone's cool with that, I'll soon start to go through the current template and re-organize the videos listed. Some will stay here, some will get moved to "Sweetheart videos" or "Troll videos", and some will stay here but also be re-posted in one of those other templates. Whether a video stays or goes, it'll be renamed in the template(s) from "Captain's Log" to whatever its official title is. This plan sounds solid to me, but I thought I'd give a heads-up just in case. Llort 04:15, 9 November 2009 (CET)
- I think we should still keep the videos where Chris says "Captain's Logs" or says the date at the start of the video (provided Chris doesn't say something like "This doesn't even deserve a Captain's Log...") here. So yeah, just keep the videos where Chris says "Captain's Log" or a date and keep them here. --Champthom 04:50, 9 November 2009 (CET)
- The only thing about bringing together all "Captain's Logs" - ostensibly videos that Chris makes for his fans to update them about himself - is that some "Captain's Logs" don't remotely serve that purpose. CWC Update 31 January 2009 is a case in point.
- I guess we should leave this template alone, except that we should remove any video where Chris doesn't say "Captain's Log" or the date (even if that video is "for the fans") and add any video where Chris does say "Captain's Log" (even if that video isn't "for the fans").
- Once that's all done, I'll go ahead and start up a whole new template that'll bring together all of Chris's videos "for the fans". (This will in effect achieve the same purpose that a "Captain's Log" template would have achieved if Chris could only have been bothered to use the "Captain's Log" opening for the one consistent purpose of addressing his fans.) Llort 05:29, 9 November 2009 (CET)
- But I think we should still categorize all the videos where he says "Captain's Log" all together. It's getting late-ish for me so I'll address this thoroughly later. --Champthom 05:41, 9 November 2009 (CET)
- Right. I changed my mind, and what I'm saying now is that we should keep this template as a space for all videos in which Chris starts off with "Captain's Log" or the date, regardless of why he says it; but at the same time, we should still create a new template along the lines of what I suggested before, bringing together all of "Chris's videos for fans". Llort 06:06, 9 November 2009 (CET)