Harry Potter is the protagonist of the popular eponymous fantasy book series written by J. K. Rowling from 1997 to 2007, about a boy with magical powers who attends a secret academy that teaches witchcraft. Despite (or perhaps because of) being a massive phenomenon that rivaled even Pokémon and Sonic the Hedgehog, Chris never got into the series. As a result, it is one of the few mainstream works that never got bastardized in Sonichu. It is also notable that Chris hates the series with an illogical passion.
Chris and the series
As with his hatred of the HEXBox and Sonic Boom, Chris's hatred of Harry Potter is highly irrational and based primarily on a warped version of brand loyalty. Chris's hatred of Harry Potter grew out of the incorrect assumption that the books had destroyed the Pokémon fad. This is highly bizarre, as anyone who was a kid in the late 1990s knows that the mortal enemy of Pokémon was Digimon (which Chris didn't mind). One can safely assume that Chris, being highly ignorant of the literary world beyond Goosebumps, did not even become aware of the series' existence until the first movie The Philosopher's Stone (The Sorcerer's Stone in the United States) was released in 2001.
Another possible explanation for Chris's hatred of the series could be religious doctrine; many Christians have opposed the series since its release for encouraging an interest in witchcraft and the occult. However, given Chris's signature move, this is highly unlikely.
Mentions by Chris
- Most notable is the "Dark Christian" card from The Wall of Originals, which has a special ability that allows it to instantly win if the opponent likes Harry Potter, or if the opponent seems to like Harry Potter.
- Chris placed a Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Philosopher's Stone outside of America) PlayStation game for sale on eBay on 2 April 2008, but failed to sell it.
- While attempting to promote his owly collaboration with The Wallflower, Chris put aside his dislike of the franchise to compare the talking owls in his planned story to the non-talking owls in Harry Potter and the non-existent owls in The Lord of the Rings.
- Chris and Jackie also discussed Harry Potter; Chris claimed his dislike of the series was "water under the bridge now" and "stupid." He also seemed interested in the Lego Harry Potter game.
- Jackie also got Chris to make the video "I put on my Wizard's cloak and magic hat" (she requested the title "i put on my robe and wizard hat"): Chris dresses up as a wizard and states that he is from Hogwarts. He also threatens to use a "spell or two" on those who have cursed his name.
- In October 2015 Chris reaffirmed on Facebook, "I hardly cared much for the Potter. I never read the books or seen the movies."
- On 12 February 2016, Chris mentions it in his apology video, saying, "Harry Potter is okay, too. He's okay. I got- don't really have much against him except that he was in competition with Pokemon so many years ago."